He made a moment...

He made a moment...

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Help!


Ok to all those who sew! I am looking for a fun and stylish diaper bag pattern that has lots of room for all of my kids stuff like change of clothes, sippy cups, wipes, and a place to put coloring books etc.. My old diaper bag broke so I am thinking of making one to "help with my new found sewing skills" I've been looking at the stores and they all are so cheaply made and can easily rip with the vinyl covering the outer as well as inner linings of the bag! Any ideas would help.. Thanks!


P.S. Can someone explain what interfacing is.. I'm not getting the jest of it!


3 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out this youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42lDpCnLb-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elisha! Thanks for stopping by my blog -- I'm so happy you're enjoying what you find! I thought I'd stop by and say hello, and I was so pleased to find that I could actually answer this question!

    Here are a few links to diaper bag tutorials that I've bookmarked:
    The Detour Bag
    The Hip Mama Diaper Bag
    The Divided Diaper Bag
    The Baby on the Go Diaper Bag
    The Simple Diaper Bag

    Maybe one of those will be to your liking. :)

    As far as interfacing goes, interfacing in a bag is a MUST! It is a fabric stabilizer that takes your bag from being just cute-but-limp fabric sewn together to a real professional looking bag -- you just iron it right to your fabric and then sew the bag together (so be sure to buy the *fusible* interfacing). It can get a little pricy, though, (at least to my cheap budget :) so I buy the yardage of whatever kinds I need with 40% off coupons over time to help keep costs down.

    The two types of interfacing that I've used for bags are fusible fleece (which I LOVE) and a very stiff interfacing - Peltex is one brand. The fusible fleece is great for giving the sides of a bag enough oomph to stand up well without being really stiff, and it gives it a nice padded feeling, too. You can also use a medium-weight interfacing for a similar standing-up effect without the bulk, but I really love the fusible fleece. And Peltex is awesome for giving the bottom of the bag dimension to keep it flat -- it's about the thickness of a thin cardboard, but washable and sewable and all that.

    Maybe that answered your question... and maybe it just confused you more! I'm definitely not an expert, but feel free to email me if the latter is true. :)

    -Lorene
    just Lu

    ReplyDelete